All parishes have their own churches in addition to those mentioned below.
Please, see the detail of each one in "Our Villages".
Mother Church of Nª Srª da Conceição - Santa Cruz das Flores
Dating from 19th century, this one of the most imposing churches of the archipelago. It has a large main body, divides into three naves by two series of arches. Of special interest is its frontal surrounded by two towers and the chancel which has a magnificent altar.
Church of São Boaventura - Santa Cruz das Flores
Integrated into the Franciscan Convent was built around 1641. A Baroque building, the relief work which covers its interior is of inestimable value, especially in the chancel, which is of Hispanic – Mexican influence.
The vaulted ceiling is of painted cedar wood, with plants motifs and allegorical figures. There is also an important panel depicting the annunciation of the Virgin (16th century), which is attributed to a painter from the Portuguese School.
Church of São Pedro - Ponta Delgada
Rebuilt from the old, 16th century church, this was begun in 1763.
It is a spacious church with a sumptuous chancel of gold painted relief and marble imitation, here in green tones and there in brown. This altar has two other altars at is sides. On one of them is an especially interesting statue of Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres, with a sublime expression and pitiful eyes. This church, with its notable exterior, possesses a single bell tower.
Mother Church Nª Srª do Rosário - Lajes
Founded in 1515, the original church was built next to the port of Lajes. In the mid-seventeenth century, a second church was built at the current location of the cemetery, and the present church was built in the second half of the eighteenth century. The church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário houses an image of the patron saint of the church and a Holy Candelabrum offered by Pope Pius X to thank the inhabitants of Lajes for welcoming the survivors of the passenger liner “Slavónia” which was shipwrecked off Lajedo civil parish in 1909.
Church of Nª Srª dos Remédios - Fajãzinha
A large and imposing temple, boasting three naves and a fascinating chancel. It was built between 1776 and 1783